Coronavirus: Safety & Policy Updates
As the health situation evolves with Coronavirus, we want you to know that the safety of our Steer members, employees and communities is our top priority. At this time, Steer is open for business providing flexible, month-to-month transportation options.
We are closely monitoring the situation and have made the following changes to our policies:
- We have enhanced our sanitation procedures to ensure each car is carefully disinfected
- We are continually disinfecting our facilities and offices
- To ensure your safety and the wellness of employees, we are practicing social distancing and will provide support material on the vehicles virtually (e.g. videos) where possible
Changes to vehicle swap policy:
We ask that you limit your vehicle swap requests to emergency-only situations at this time to reduce the amount of human exposure. We appreciate your consideration and support to keep everyone safe and we look forward to resuming operations as usual as soon as it is safe to do so.
MOST POPULAR TOPICS
Who is eligible to subscribe to Steer?
What are swaps?
Meet Steer: basic info
- What is Steer?
Steer is a monthly vehicle subscription service that specializes in electric vehicles. We are a hassle-free, technology-driven, low-emissions alternative to owning, leasing or renting.
- What’s included?
You pay one transparent, monthly fee that includes:
• Access to your own virtual multi-car garage of awesome vehicles for every occasion
• Insurance and routine maintenance
• Unlimited miles
• A personal concierge for hassle-free delivery
• Charging solutions for in and out of your home
- Why subscribe?
Why not? Subscriptions give you the freedom and flexibility of driving many different cars for all your lifestyle needs. You still get the personal ownership experience: driving the car everyday and parking it at your home, but none of the wasted time at dealerships and maintenance shops. We provide the whole package without the headache.
- Can I pick my own car?
You pick the driving occasion – ex: daily commute or date night – and your personal concierge conveniently matches you to a fabulous ride that fits your needs – size, style and range. We’ll take your feedback to curate cars based on your preferences too.
- What kinds of cars are there?
Your Steer virtual garage will be dynamic, efficient, and flexible for any lifestyle or driving need. We offer three types of vehicles:
• Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV) – Battery Electric vehicles run exclusively on a battery that is charged by plugging into an outlet or charging station. No gas ever!! Examples are the Nissan LEAF or Tesla vehicles.
• Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) – These vehicles are the best of both worlds – gas AND electric. You can choose to charge the battery and drive on electric, or if you run out of charge, drive on gas. It’s totally up to you. Examples are the Toyota Prius Prime and Porsche Panamera.
• Hybrid Electric Vehicles (Hybrid) – Hybrids vehicles combine the cars engine and battery system to increase fuel efficiency and decrease emissions. These vehicles are the most basic type of electric vehicles. Just like most cars, hybrid vehicles do not need to be charged, and can only run on gasoline. Examples are the Toyota RAV4 and Porsche Cayenne.
- How new are the vehicles?
All Steer vehicles are 2016 models or newer. However, we are constantly buying brand new vehicles to keep up with the latest models and technology. Each vehicle is detailed and inspected before and after it ever goes out to any member.
- What are swaps?
• Going on a road trip? Family vacation? Access your virtual multi-car garage and swap for a car that fits your plans and your lifestyle.
• Through the app, tell us what you need and we’ll match the perfect car for you.
• When the swap is scheduled, our concierge will deliver it to you and move your items from one car to the other – it’s really that easy!
- What is a Swap Zone?
This is the area in which you can request swaps and your concierge will be able to perform them.
Washington: Swap territory is a 25-mile radius from central Washington D.C., 20001. Although you can live within 50 miles to be a Steer customer, all swaps must be performed within the 25-mile radius.
Toronto: Swap territory is a 40 kms radius from Toronto Downtown. Although you can live within 80 kms to be a Steer customer, all swaps must be performed within the 40 kms radius.
Ready to get started? Click here.
- What is Service Territory?
Washington: Currently, Steer is available in the Greater DC Metro area, including surrounding VA and MD suburbs. The service area is a 50-mile radius from central Washington D.C., 20001.
Toronto: Currently, Steer is available in the GTA. The service area is within a 40 kms radius from Toronto Downtown.
- Who is my personal concierge?
Your personal concierge is your go-to point person. She or he will deliver, swap, and educate you on your vehicle. You can reach your concierge by phone, email, or text!
- Who is eligible to subscribe to Steer?
• You must be 26 or older to be the primary subscriber.
• The primary driver may assign a secondary driver, who must be 23 years or older. The secondary driver will need to go through the same approval process.
- How do I sign up?
• Download our app to start the application process.
• Not ready to download the app? Sign up for news and updates!
- How do I get my first car?
Once you’ve been approved, one of our concierges will contact you. We will ask you a few questions to curate the perfect first car for you. We’ll also help set up your first delivery.
- Do I need to apply?
Yes! You will fill out a short application process through the Steer mobile app. This is NOT a formal credit check and will not impact your credit score. Please have your driver’s license and credit card handy. You’ll also need to take a selfie! Once completed, you’ll be notified by call or text within 72 hours if you have been Steer approved.
- What do I do with my old car?
We have all the tools for you. Contact your concierge for more details on:
• Best practices
• Ways to dispose
- Can I refer a friend?
Your family is our Steer family. When you refer friends to Steer and they receive their first vehicle, we give you $250 credit towards your next month’s subscription and they’ll get a $250 credit as well!
Behind the wheel
- Rules of the road: what can I do with the car?
We expect you treat Steer vehicles with the same care and love as you would your own vehicle. This includes driving responsibly and complying with all state laws.
- How long can I keep the car?
You drive the cars just like your very own, they stay with you as if you own them. However, you are not locked into just one car, you can swap between vehicles for something different at any point in time.
- Do I have insurance?
Yes! All vehicles provided by Steer are fully insured on a fleet insurance policy held by Steer.
Washington: All approved drivers are covered by the fleet insurance policy, which guarantees up to $1 million dollars of coverage. Steer customers are responsible for a $3,000 deductible for any major accident.
Toronto: All approved drivers are covered by the fleet insurance policy, which guarantees up to $2 million dollars of coverage. Steer customers are responsible for a $5,000 deductible for any major accident.
Full insurance details are available upon request.
- When do I need to request a swap by?
Swaps must be requested by 5:00pm the day before you want to get the new vehicle. This allows us time to prep, inspect and deliver the vehicle in the time frame you request.
Swaps are performed on a first-come, first-served basis. We encourage customers to plan ahead for holidays to ensure you get the right car during these high-use times.
- Charging 101
Have questions about charging? Our concierge will be sure to share all the information you need to know. There is also a charging brochure in each car’s glove box to help you.
- How do I charge my vehicle?
All Steer vehicles come with the model’s respective charging cable and adapter. Your charger can simply be plugged into any outlet or as instructed by the given Owner’s Manual and information from your concierge. If you would like to install a home charger, our concierge staff will help you through the purchasing and installation process. If you have any more questions about charging, please refer to the materials in your glove box or contact your concierge.
- The SteerPass
The SteerPass is there to simplify public charging station for you. If you opt into the SteerPass, you will receive access to all available and active charging stations under the charging manufacturers (i.e. ChargePoint, EVgo, etc.).
- Car apps
Some vehicles come with a car-specific application. Your concierge, where possible, will set you up with your log-in and connectivity. Some app features include battery charge level, remote start/precondition, and certain self-driving features.
- Do vehicles have self-driving features?
Yes! Every Steer vehicle is equipped with varying levels of self-driving, depending on the make and model, from adaptive cruise control to lane-keeping to self-parking and/or autopilot. You are welcome to enjoy these features, but do so at your own risk, according to the user terms.
Your mobile Steer app will walk you through the accident reporting process. You are required to notify us as soon as safely and reasonably possible if the vehicle you are driving is in an accident. Find a safe location and call 911 to report the accident. Steer representatives will guide you through the accident reporting process and get you a new vehicle.
- Roadside Assistance
If you need roadside assistance during normal business hours (M-F, 9-5), call your concierge and she/he will bring you a new vehicle, so we can take care of the rest. Outside of normal business hours, we will provide you with information in your glove box on where to call and what to do.
- How do I contact the concierge?
- Can I have other people drive my Steer vehicle?
Yes, however all drivers must be approved through the Steer application in order to drive. Once you are approved as the primary subscriber, you have the ability to add secondary drivers to your Steer account, who you are still responsible for. Your concierge will have additional information for you.
- Can I use advanced features of my vehicle?
Some Steer vehicles are equipped with the utmost of performance features including auto-pilot, self-drive, and much more. We encourage you to use these features within the appropriate environments and with caution as recommended by the vehicle’s manufacturer and the Owner’s Manual. Full restrictions are outlined within our terms and conditions.
Payments & Pricing
- What is the tax rate I will be charged?
- In addition to your monthly rate you will be charged tax on your Steer membership based on your residency.Tax rates are as follows:DC 10.25%, MD 11.5%, VA 10%, ON 13%
- What is the Referral Program?
- If you love Steer, please tell your friends, family and coworkers about us! If they join, you get $250 off your next month’s fee and they get $250 off too. Sometimes giving is as good as getting.How it works: Go to Referrals in the Steer app. This will generate your own personal promo code that you can send to others. When they join and get their first car, you receive your credit. Easy!
- What is my monthly subscription fee?
Your fee is your monthly payment, plus tax.
- What is the Activation Fee?
The activation fee is a one-time, non-refundable $750 fee (plus tax) to get you started with Steer. You will be charged your activation fee on the day of your first car delivery. This is separate from your monthly payment.
- Billing frequency
Your first monthly payment (and activation fee) will not be billed until the day of your first vehicle delivery. You will be billed monthly through an auto-renew system. If you wish to cancel or pause your subscription, please contact your concierge.
- Do I pay for gas?
If you choose a vehicle that is a hybrid or plug-in hybrid, you are responsible for maintaining gas use and payment. When you swap your vehicle for another, you can choose to fill it to a full tank, or your concierge will fill it for you and bill you back the exact amount.
- Do I pay for electric?
Yes, charging can be made easy from your home, office or local areas. We provide you with a SteerPass for charging at certain public locations. Learn more about the SteerPass and charging. Vehicles must have a minimum of 30 miles left of charge when returned or swapped.
- I want to pause my Steer subscription
Need a break from driving or going on a long trip? We offer the option to pause your subscription for a $100/month fee (plus tax). Pause as often as you like and enjoy the flexibility you would never get if you owned or leased. Just contact your concierge and let us know.
- I want to cancel my Steer subscription
If you would like to cancel your Steer subscription, call your concierge and request cancellation a minimum 30 days in advance. You will not be charged for the next month or refunded for the remaining days.
- Allowable vehicle uses
All drivers of our vehicles and their guests are expected to abide by the following rules, which are intended to keep you safe and the vehicle in good condition:
• No commercial use – this includes rideshare or taxi services
• No smoking!!
• Pets may only be transported in a pet carrier. We love our furry friends, but pets are only permitted if they are transported in pet carriers.
• No transport of hazardous materials inside the vehicles.
Washington: There is no monthly mileage limit. Drive anywhere you want, as long as you stay in the United States!
Toronto: There is no monthly mileage limit. Drive anywhere you want, as long as you stay in Canada!
- Maintaining the car – like it’s your own
You must notify us immediately upon discovering any abnormality during your operation of our vehicles.
- Prepping my car for swap
When preparing to swap we strongly advise you check the vehicle for any personal belongings that may be left behind during a swap by our team. This includes jewelry, garage door openers, chargers, and more.
- Who can drive?
Only approved primary and secondary Steer drivers indicated within the Steer application are allowed to drive Steer vehicles.